Kitchen Appliances - Dishwashers
What should I do if my dishes aren’t as clean as I would like after I run my dishwasher?
If you see food particles on your dishes after they have been run through the dishwasher’s cycle, try the following:
- Choose a cycle with a longer wash time, especially if dishes are extra soiled.
- Be sure that the dishwasher racks are properly loaded. Avoid overcrowding.
- Check with your local utility company to ensure that the water pressure in your home is between 20 and 120 psi (pounds per square inch).
- Check to determine whether you have hard water. If so, you may need a water softener. To determine your water hardness, contact your water supplier or county extension office.
- Use fresh detergent, because old detergent is not always effective.
- Check to see that the dishwasher’s spray arms are not blocked.
- Be sure that the water coming into your dishwasher is hot water. The water should be at least 120°F (49°C).